I read something recently that said REM sleep is like parallel consciousness, as the brain acts the same way as if awake. When you're in REM sleep, you are not in deep restorative sleep. The mind and body needs a balance of both. The article also indicated that people who "excessively dream"-no definition of what excessive is- are more depressed then those who don't dream. I have qualms with that.
Dreaming is a valuable tool that should not be under estimated, but it is in our society. Dreams are considered foolish, absurd, bizarre and have no relevance to waking life. Any talented dreamer that has taken the time to enhance their understanding knows how relevant dreams are to providing solutions in every day life. Many of the greatest inventors and scientist have used their dreams to figure how things work or to make things work more efficiently. Sir Isaac Newton is one of them.
What I'm getting at here is that dreams provide insight and enhance emotional well being when dreaming states are controlled. First, most people need to learn how to recall their dreams. The most frequent statement I hear from people is that "I don't remember my dreams", so they have no value to the individual. If a person does recall them, ever so briefly, they never write them down and are quickly forgotten. If a dream is vivid and repetitive, it is often associated with fear and the person wants to forget it. Hence, real dreaming takes patience to cultivate the method of allowing the dream to play out, recalling and then translating it. This is by no means a short process. You must be committed and intentional in working with your dreams as often as they occur.
However, dreaming can get out of hand. Once the dreamer has figured out how to do the above, the flood gates are open and your mind is on a quest for adventure at night. This can result in lack of sleep due to the shear number of dreams one has. That lack of sleep can turn into insomnia, which can turn into depression.
So, once the flood gates are open, how do you close them or at least partially shut the gate? I think it's different for everyone. For me dreamers, is that I must write my dreams down as soon as I wake up. I can't wait till morning to write them down, as I began on a path of "trying to remember" all night long which resulted in half sleeping. I got no rest and was miserable.
No way do I want to stop my dreams, but I don't want to be controlled by them. If this is happening to you don't fear that you're dreams are going to go away, because they're not. Allow yourself some real sleep. I'm not going to give you pointers on how to control the flow, as when the dreaming is happening and your actions afterward will show you what adjustments you need to make in your process. It's so different for everyone. My point here is simple. Cultivate your dreams on your terms, don't let the mind run all night long. You'll be happier and so will your mate and coworkers.
Dream on my friends.
Blessings,
Dreamer
http://www.envisiondreams.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment